White flour - to eat or not to eat?
White flour - healthy. And white bread - delicious, I hear you say! There's nothing like a healthy slice of white bread to start the day off, is there?
I'd like you to think again! In fact, I'd like you to totally reconsider. If you want to improve your health and look younger, you would be well advised to take white flour out of your diet.
Photo courtesy of R.Pereni
Let's consider some facts on how white flour is produced:
- Wheat seedlings are blasted with fungicides and the growing crops are continually bombarded with hormones to influence their growth.
- Once the wheat has been stored, it is treated with insecticides and any insects left on will be fumigated.
- Once harvested, only the most starchy element of the wheat berry is used leaving nothing but starch; the bran, containing the fibre,and the wheat germ, containing the vitamin E, are removed. Virtually no fibre, vitamin E or good unsaturated fats remain.
- With stunning disregard for the nutritional value of the food you eat, the manufacturers then see fit to render your flour almost completely worthless in other ways. Between 50% and 80% of the nutrients are removed by the damaging heat applied during the milling process. This includes huge percentages of calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper and vitamins, especially the B vitamins.
- Finally, the flour is put through a chemical bleaching process to make it nice and white for us. Some of these bleaches, when coming into contact with dough additives blend to make a nasty toxin. This is well known but still nothing is done about it, despite the fact that in 1910, white flour was declared unfit for human consumption by the Federal Western District Court of Missouri.
- To make it all a little more acceptable, synthetic vitamins and minerals are then added to the flour to try to make up for the vast amount of natural goodness that has been ripped from our wheat.
Well, hopefully that's food for thought! Sadly, not very nutritious food in the case of white flour!
Let's summarise this:
Beauty secret: Keep white flour out of your diet.
And why is this so important? Well, consider how much of your diet is made up from white flour. Not just the obvious breads, pizza bases and cakes etc, but also from the hidden flour. The flour that thickens your soups, that is used as batter on your fish, or masquerading as exotic sauces.
This bleached out non food is everywhere. Quite apart from the fact that it is obvious folly to eat something that has been bleached, (I don’t want chemical bleach reaching my blood stream) you are basing much of your daily diet around a ‘food’ that offers you no nutritional value whatsoever.
Given that you need plenty of good nutrition to remain youthful, (and only a certain number of calories to take in) it is clear that white flour products have no place in your diet……at all!!
Return from White Flour to What Foods to Eat
Return from White Flour to Stay Young Home Page