A nice flat stomach doesn't go unnoticed and is one of the most youthful attributes you can have. By doing my stomach exercises, as well as ensuring a flat, tight stomach, you'll get these bonuses:
- your bottom will become higher and tighter
- your thighs will be firmer
- your back muscles stronger
They will also produce these knock-on effects:
- stomach muscles are strengthened
- surrounding muscles are, as a result, strengthened
- there becomes less pressure on your back
- your internal organs won't be crushed
- so your posture improves
- so you feel good!
These exercises will work all the muscles from the calves upwards. Every muscle that you contract on one side is stretching on the opposite side. So, if you are tightening your lower abdomen, the opposite effect of that is that you are stretching the backs of your legs without any added effort.
- Lie down on the floor keeping your arms to your sides.
- Your back must be in the neutral position to keet the natural alignment of the spine - don't try to push it flat to the floor.
- Slowly lift one leg up so that it's just a couple of inches off the floor. Don't lift it off more than a foot (30cm).
- Hold this to the count of 5 to start with.
- Now, slowly lower the leg. Let it relax on the floor for a second and lift the same leg again.
- Repeat this for 10 repetitions and change legs.
When you are feeling good about this exercise - hey, nothing worth having comes easy - try both legs at once to the same count. There is everything to be gained from doing this exercise slowly. Fast, jerking motions will not work the muscles effectively.
After you have done this exercise, reward yourself by bringing your bent knees up to your chest and give yourself a nice hug. This is very relaxing for the stomach muscles that have just been working flat out!
Here’s an alternative exercise:
An alternative to this is to
- Lie on your back, legs out straight, arms by your side.
- Lift one leg a few inches from the floor and lower as the other comes up as in a walking motion.
- Do this for the count of 10 about 3 times.
- Now lift both legs out straight and criss cross them over each other, alternating the top leg, for about the count of 10 x 3.
- When you have done this, give yourself another knee hug, you've earned it.
Keep up these stomach exercises, and you'll have a stomach to be proud of before you know it!
Return from Stomach Exercises to Exercise
Return from Stomach Exercises to Stay Young Home Page